Durrell Charity Shop reopens
We are delighted to be able to welcome our customers back to the charity shop and accept donations from the public once again. The team followed the Government of Jersey’s advice and put a number of safety measures in place at the shop, which were trialed with Durrell staff and volunteers. We are confident that we can provide a safe experience for everyone, whether shopping or dropping off a donation. We are now accepting cash and face masks no longer need to be worn while inside the shop. Physical distancing has also been reduced to 1m and we have increased our number of customers to 15 at a time. All other measures remain the same for the time being.
For shopping & donations: Tuesday – Saturday, 09:00–13:00 (closed Sunday – Monday)
CHANGES TO THE SHOP
- Limited to 15 shoppers at a time
- Queuing system outside the entrance with floor markers
- Hand sanitiser point on arrival
- Changing room and toilet facilities are closed
- The shop has been rearranged to accommodate for physical distancing
- Yellow floor markers inside the shop
- All surfaces, doors and equipment cleaned regularly
- The shop can be exited via two different doors
New safety measures:
- The drop off point is now located away from the charity shop door, at the entrance to our large storage area (signs and staff will be in place to direct you)
- There will be roll cages or a clearly marked area for unloading donations (staff will provide guidance)
- All donations will be isolated in our storage area for 72hrs before being sorted
How you can help:
If you have had a clear-out recently and are preparing to drop off your items to the charity shop, here are a few ways you can help us in advance of donating.
- Before donating large items of furniture, please email images to CharityShop@durrell.org and we will confirm if we have the capacity to accept the items (changes have been made to our storage area, reducing our capacity to store large items).
- Please put any clothing and other fabrics through the washing machine
- Please wipe down any hard surfaces
- Please only donate items that can be sold – if you think that someone you know would buy it, then we would love to receive it!
- If you have a large amount of items to donate, please consider staggering your donations to help us with our storage capacity.
- Please do not leave donations outside when we are closed. This frequently results in your kindly donated goods being stolen or damaged, meaning they cannot be sold to raise funds for Durrell. The disposal of damaged items also costs the charity money.
Items we do not accept:
We are unable to accept the items listed below due to the following reasons: Ethical, Safety, Health and Wellbeing, Legal, Undesirability.
- Children’s car seats or booster seats
- Baby monitors, walking frames, door bouncers and baby slings
- Safety gates
- All types of protective headgear
- Swimming aids, such as floats and life jackets
- Gas and oil appliances
- Poisonous, toxic and hazardous substances
- White goods – cookers, washing machines, fridges and microwaves
- Electric fires
- Medical equipment and medication
- Firearms and ammunition
- Weapons (including replicas) or sharp objects that can be used as weapons – knives, darts, swords
- Opened cosmetics
- Pornographic items
- Animal products – items made of fur, ivory, bone, turtle, tortoiseshell, or any endangered species
- Anything broken, dirty, incomplete or unsafe
If you have any questions prior to shopping or donating, call us on +44 1534 811040 or email us at CharityShop@durrell.org (Tuesday – Saturday, 09:00–13:00). We also appreciate any feedback about your experience at the charity shop following your visit.
Thank you so much for your support and cooperation. We look forward to seeing you at the Durrell Charity Shop soon!